Saturday

Summery Classic

I always forget how much I enjoy a Caprese salad. It's so simple to put together, but I hardly make it. Perhaps because it most certainly requires firm, ripe tomatoes that only summer can produce. In honor of the first day of summer, I decided to treat myself.

I made the salad a little different this time. Traditionally, basil forms the iconic trio, but I used chives instead. I saw them in the market and thought that the oniony note would be interesting. I was pairing the salad with a grilled portobello mushroom and I figured the heat from the mushroom would enhance the flavor of the chives, whereas I think it would have hindered that of the basil.

I layered the slices of fresh mozzarella with beautiful heirloom tomato. I sprinkled the chives on top and drizzled the plate with a simple vinaigrette of EVOO, balsamic vinegar and some herbs.

Post dinner, I was treated to the most beautiful sunset. Light pink clouds and an orange sun. Quite possibly the only time where pink and orange don't clash.

The fireflies have also emerged, one even landed on my shirt. I'm always amazed by those things.

Summer is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment